In order to understand the basic concept of the Swedish massage, everyone should get a little bit of information about its history. Swedish massage is based on the Western concepts of physiology and anatomy and was popularized in the early XIXth century by Per Henrik Ling, a well-known Swedish physiologist, who lived in Stockholm. He, in fact, invented a system called “Medical Gymnastics” which was performed by massage therapists. In the US and Europe the system developed under the names “Swedish Movement Cure” and “Swedish movements”, from which the current name of the massage was derived.
Today, the treatment called Swedish massage is popular in almost all countries around the globe and is amongst the Top 5 most popular therapeutic massage systems worldwide. This relaxation treatment is the best one if you have little or no experience with SPA centers. Although in most cases a massage therapist will perform a 60 min massage Dee Sickles LMT /aka Divinely Nurturing Therapeutic Medical Massage, of, Flagstaff, AZ, recommends that you take a 75 or a 90 minute one for an optimal muscle relaxation effect.
Here are the main phases of this deep tissue massage that you will go through, once you decide to try it:
- You will be asked if you have any injuries the therapist should know of.
- Then you will be asked if there are certain areas of tightness or pain which need special attention.
- After that the therapist will leave the room, as you will have to take of your clothes and lay on the massage bed. Although nudity may be a bit confusing for you, do not worry the only parts which will be uncovered from the towel will be the ones that will be massaged.
- In the beginning of the session your skin will be lubricated with a massage oil (with an aroma you prefer) and the light will be adjusted according to your preference.
- Your massage therapist will then perform various massage strokes in order to warm up your muscle tissue.
- Then he/she will concentrate on breaking up muscle “knots” you have.
- When the massage is done you will be left to relax alone, in peace, for a few minutes and allowed to dress as well.