What to Ask For, When Visiting a Massage Therapist
Massage therapy includes a wide variety of services and massage types that affect various areas of the human body. Some of them are designed for treating sore joints and muscles, others are made to help promote faster recovery, increased blood flow, and relieving stress. To choose the right massage therapist, you need to know what kind of services you are going to need. If he can’t do that for you, then you may need to look for a better therapist. Here are some of the most popular techniques and massage therapies that you can ask for:
- Swedish massage therapy. This is a classic massage technique for warming up and relaxing the muscles. It’s usually performed in the beginning of a massage session because it’s rather slow and calming. It involves long strokes in both straight lines and circular motions.
- Thai massage, on the other hand, is totally different. It’s a lot more active, for starters. Also, it includes a lot of stretching and standing in yoga-like positions. The interesting thing about Thai massage is that the massage therapist takes the limbs of the patient and moves and arranges them in certain positions that help improve their flexibility. The procedures can last up to two hours.
- Hot stone therapy is probably the least invasive and stressful procedure. It involves placing hot volcanic stones on specific places on the back. That usually includes the spine, the shoulders, and the waist. The procedure helps warm the body internally and influence the organism from within.
- Deep tissue massage is similar to Thai. It’s pretty energizing and concentrated on muscles and joints. It is useful for relieving muscle pain and improving your body posture. The procedures involve short hard strokes and applying pressure on certain areas. It’s a pretty harsh massage technique but it helps improve muscle fitness.
- Sports massage is a variety of deep tissue that is mostly used for treating sports injuries in athletes and people who do a lot of physical work.
If you ever need a skilled massage therapist that you can trust, then why not give Dee Sickles LMT /aka Divinely Nurturing Therapeutic Medical Massage a try? We are located and operating in Flagstaff, AZ, so don’t hesitate to give us a call at (928) 212-8094!